Kursen ges på engelska.
Intended learning outcomes
After completion of the course the course participant should be able to:
Knowledge and understanding
- describe different types of qualitative data analysis and its origin, application, as well as its advantages and disadvantages
- explain the requirements imposed on empirical data and its consequences for the possibility of analysis
Competence and skills
- apply different types of inductive and theoretical analysis to an empirical material
- present the outcomes of qualitative data analysis in writing, adapted to scientific journals
Judgement and approach
- critically discuss the strengths and weaknesses of a conducted empirical analysis
- evaluate the relevance of different types of analytical methods related to different types of research questions
In this course the participants get familiarized with, and learn how to use, a range of techniques and methods for qualitative data analysis, for example:
- inductive analysis,
- deductive analysis,
- content analysis,
- thematic analysis,
- grounded theory,
- ethnographic analysis,
- and narrative analysis.
The course is divided into 6 course sessions, including the course introduction. The course will be held online or at campus, depending on the national recommendations related to the pandemic.
GRU1: Individual examination, written and oral, with focus on key concepts, methods and approaches in qualitative analysis (examination of the course literature).
SEM1: Group examination, oral, planning and completion of a seminar with focus on selected technique for qualitative data analysis. (Assignment 1)
INL1: Individual examination, written and oral, analysis of empirical data and reflection on the result, including presentation of results from analysis of qualitative data. (Assignment 2).
Miles, M., Huberman, M. & Saldana J. (2020). Qualitative Data Analysis. A Methods Sourcebook, Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc.
Säfsten, K. & Gustavsson, M. (2020). Research methodology for engineers and other problem-solvers. Studentlitteratur, Lund.
Additional reading will be added.